Many people in India lose their limb is some accident. When a person becomes an amputee, they’re faced with staggering emotional and financial lifestyle changes.
Fortunately, high tech prosthetic devices that restore a person’s basic skills and independence are available. Unfortunately, many amputees lack the financial resources to obtain adequate prosthetic care.
LIMB FOR LIFE initiative by Mumbai based NGO Yuvak Prathishtan. It’s a new hope, a new vision, a new chapter. Under this mission, the NGO provides free advanced-electronic prosthetic limbs to amputees who cannot afford it.
- Provide a financial bridge between low-income amputees and the quality of prosthetic care needed to restore their lives.
- Provide fully-functional prosthetic care for individuals who cannot otherwise afford it and raising awareness of the challenges facing amputees.
After an amputee approaches the NGO, they do thorough research on what type of limb is required.
- The documented research is sent to the manufacturer; in Germany.
- The manufacturer makes the limb – on made to order basis.
- The limb reaches the amputee in approximately 2 months; at no cost whatsoever.
About the NGO
Yuvak Prathishtan, founded by Member of Parliament Dr. Kirit Somaiya (Mumbai north-east) in 1980, is committed to creating awareness and social, economic, environmental and public health-related issues to the society at large.
The mission is led by Neil Somaiya who’s a socio-political activist and one of those trying to make a change. As a socio-political activist, he has taken up several projects to encourage the youth on various subjects like education, saving electricity, cleanliness, sanitation, health, and national pride.