There are many people in India who lose their limb is some accident. When a person becomes an amputee, they are faced with staggering emotional and financial lifestyle changes. Fortunately, high tech prosthetic devices that restore a person’s basic skills and independence are available. Unfortunately, many amputees lack the financial resources to obtain adequate prosthetic care.
LIMB FOR LIFE initiative by Mumbai based NGO Yuvak Prathishtan. It’s is a new hope, a new vision, a new chapter. Under this mission, the NGO provides free advanced-electronic prosthetic limbs to amputees who cannot afford it.
- Provide a financial bridge between low-income amputees and the quality prosthetic care needed to restore their lives.
- Provide fully-functional prosthetic care for individuals who cannot otherwise afford it and raising awareness of the challenges facing amputees.
- After an amputee approaches the NGO, they do a thorough research on what type of limb is required.
- The documented research is sent to the manufacturer; in Germany.
- The manufacturer makes the limb – on made to order basis.
- The limb reaches the amputee in approximately 2 months; at no cost whatsoever.
About the NGO:
Yuvak Prathishtan, founded by Member of Parliament Dr. Kirit Somaiya (Mumbai north-east) in 1980, is committed to creating awareness and social, economic, environmental and public health-related issues to the society at large.
The mission is led by Neil Somaiya who is a socio-political activist and one of those who is trying to make a change. As a socio-political activist, he has taken up several projects to encourage the youth on various subjects like education, saving electricity, cleanliness, sanitation, health and national pride.